Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans' Day



While one day certainly isn't enough to say thank you to our Veterans, I am glad that we have such a day, for those who have served and those who are now serving deserve our gratitude.

I certainly can't imagine the reality of standing on that wall, offering yourself as a target, as a defender of this country. I can't begin to fathom traveling to distant lands that were once little more than fantasies on a globe and being shot at. I simply can't understand the terror and danger those men and women face, but I am grateful they do it.

I am grateful they do it because the sacrifice of so many has made my way of life possible. I am grateful they do it because their sacrifice means I do not have to sacrifice. I am grateful they do it because without them, this country would be a far different place.

I don't know what the best way to honor the Veterans' is. Thank you seems so trite in the face of so many who have lived and died, been wounded and forever scarred, for the freedoms this country enjoys and often takes for granted. It doesn't seem big enough, but it's important to offer.

So to all the vets--thank you.

No comments: