Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lightning

  So there I was...

  I was out playing golf last night when the storm clouds began to roll in.  I kept looking back over my shoulder in the hopes that my perceptions were wrong and the storms were heading the other way.

  They weren't.

  On the green at the 4th hole, the lightning started flashing across the sky, and one of our opponents quickly made a beeline for his cart.  I stood there on the green over my ball, wondering why on earth it had to be stormy last night, rather than last week, when I couldn't hit a ball straight if my life depended on it.  I had scored as many points in 4 holes as I did in 8 last week.

  But then I remembered that there is a certain baby who might need me around, and I didn't want Rachel to have to explain to him someday that his daddy isn't around because he chose to keep playing golf in a lightning storm.

  At which point he would ask Rachel how much money I was playing for, and she would have to reply, "No money.  He wasn't any good at golf, he was just playing better than average, but still wasn't anywhere close to par."

  "And he got struck by lightning for that?"

  To which Rachel wouldn't have much of a reply.  Funny how being a father changes the way I see things already!

Of course, I wasn't playing as well as the bishop in Caddyshack...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You'd better be careful out on that golf course! Both the baby and I need you!