Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Well, that was exciting...

 So there I was...

  Rachel called me and told me the doctor had decided to have another ultrasound done.  The doctor was concerned because Rachel's stomach was measuring smaller than usual (a strange thought considering that Rachel's stomach would not best be described by the word 'small').  The concern is that if Rachel becomes low on amniotic fluid, Poseidon doesn't have much room to move around and has trouble doing little things like breathing.  If the amniotic fluid is very low, this might be reason for an induction.

  Anyway, I'm at the church when Rachel calls, so I decide to head to the doctor's office for the ultrasound, and Rachel doesn't usually mind having me around.  (In my defense, I've made it to most of the other doctor's appointments.  This one was rescheduled in the middle of a busy morning, so I decided not to go.  Figures.)  I was halfway out the door when it hit me--
 
  I might have a baby by this evening.

  Now, for the last month or two, I thought I was ready for this.  I've taken enough classes that I'm pretty sure I could teach a course on how to have a baby.  I've been praying about it since I found out Rachel was pregnant.  I've been focused on the baby and have been so excited, that I figured when the time came I would be nothing but excited and ready to meet little Poseidon.

  And I'm sitting the car, on the way to see Rachel for what could, for all we know, be the moment where they tell us to cross the street to the hospital to be induced, and I realize I am not prepared for this.  All I was thinking was, another week might be nice.  I didn't have much planned for the rest of the day, but it hit me how fully this will change my life, and how uncertain I am about what life will look like, post-baby.  It occurred to me that I am unprepared, raw and unready, for what is about to come.  All of my excitement cannot conquer the fact that my life is about to change monumentally and I'm not ready for that to occur.  Poseidon, on the other hand, isn't too worried about how ready I am--he says I better be ready, because he'll be coming soon.

  Anyway--because most of you are more concerned about the baby than my mental state, I can gladly say that there is plenty of amniotic fluid.  Poseidon has plenty of room to move and breathe and do whatever it is babies do in the womb, and he's still there, safe and sound, waiting patiently to spring himself upon us when we're least expecting it.  Everything looks great, and we're back to watching and waiting!

  I'll try and remember and post the ultrasound pictures in the morning.  He looks fabulous!

No comments: