Monday, April 23, 2012

Cursillo

  I went to the mountaintop.  Only it was next to a lake, so there wasn't much mountain involved.

  This past weekend, I attended Cursillo, (Spanish for 'short course') in Scottsboro, AL.  I left Thursday afternoon and came home Sunday evening, and for that entire time every need I had was tended to in order that I might be able to sit back, relax, and enjoy the love and grace of God.  The staff at Cursillo went out of their way to make sure that I wasn't trying to fill any role other than child of God, and it was a gift.  That's the best word to describe Cursillo--a gift.  A gift of time and love and prayer that allowed me to dwell in the depths of God's love.  The entire time I was there I was prayed for, and ever since I've been home I've been amazed at the number of people who took their time to lift up my name before Almighty God.  They didn't have to do that--most of them had never even met me--but they did so freely, out of love.  The same kind of love that God pours out upon me, even though I am often too busy to notice.

  I don't know exactly what the lasting impact of this weekend will be for me.  I know that I will be encouraging others to attend the Cursillo gathering in October.  (Application can be found here)  Cursillo is a bit like the Transfiguration in Mark's Gospel--immediately after coming down from his mountaintop, spiritual experience, Jesus is confronted by a boy with a demon.  Real life intrudes quickly into our spiritual experiences.  I came home last night not to a boy with a demon, but rather a baby with an upset stomach at midnight.  Real life intrudes, and it often ends up depriving one of sleep!  But just as the disciples always carried the Transfiguration with them, I'll take Cursillo with me, and it is my solemn prayer that this experience will help me see God's love and grace at work in the world around me.  I am hoping that it will change the way I see the world, and that I will be better able to experience and accept God's love, so that I might go forth and lead a life that helps others experience the same transforming love of God.

No comments: