Thursday, September 20, 2012

9-20-12 E-News


Announcements

Wednesday Night SuppersHooray!!!!! Next Wednesday, the 26th, we begin again!!!! Dinner at 6—hot dogs fresh from the grill are provided by our grilling experts. Please help out and bring a side item to share. We'll be studying 1 Peter, so feel free to read ahead!

East Brainerd Elementaryare you interested in helping out at East Brainerd? They need someone to volunteer as a kindergarten assistant—doing tasks like cutting things out, laminating, etc.

Pizza & Ping-PongThe youth & their friends are invited to the Geerlings' house on Sept. 22 for an evening of pizza & ping-pong. Please RSVP to Janet.

Dinner for 8There's still room! This small-group discussion will take place this Sunday from 5-5:50.

New Hope News

Sunday School—We'll explore Hosea this Sunday @ 10.

Men's BreakfastSaturday, Sept. 22 from 8-9. We're going to begin a Bible Study called Quiet Strength that was written by Tony Dungy.

Sunday Evening Prayer ServiceJoin us Sunday @ 6


Pray for:

Those in mourning

Jacob Geerlings, as he continues his seminary studies

Pray for those who do not see the hand of God at work in their lives


Links





Book Recommendation

I love God. I like Guinness. So when The Search for God and Guinness crossed my path, I felt somewhat compelled to read it. It's a history of the brewery and the family that started it all, but it focuses on the family's strong desire for the brewery to make a positive impact on society. Guinness brewery wasn't simply another brewery among many—Arthur Guinness and many of his descendants felt a strong call to improve society and care not only for their own employees but also for the residents of Ireland. It's an easy read, but can be an important lesson about how to let God use you in a corporate setting.

Random Thoughts

So there I was...

I was just about to leave for church on Sunday morning when I noticed a wet piece of cardboard in the basement. Upon doing some research, I discovered that the source of the water was the shower drain. (It just occurred to me that I'm not 100% sure that the drain I've been trying to fix all week is the problem...) Being determined (read: cheap), I then proceeded to take the shower drain cover off and stare at it the (very dirty) innards of the drain for a while.

A few YouTube videos later, I knew that I needed to unscrew the part inside the shower drain in order to remove & replace it. So I tried to unscrew it. The video makes it look very easy.

It's not.

A screwdiver, some pliers, several wrenches and my bare hands later, it still hasn't budged. Somehow, I've avoided major injury (so far).

Back to YouTube, I discovered there's a neat little tool that was made just for this job. They even include it with the new drains. Without it, I'm hopeless. But with that specific tool, I can fix the possibly-broken drain. (Well, if it wasn't broken beforehand, it definitely is now!)

There are two purposes to my relating this story. The first is that YouTube is a great place for home repair tips and hints when working on projects. (Also, kitten videos are cute)

The second is to remind you that you were created with a purpose. God made you just the way you are so that you might join in with God's work to spread the Kingdom. You have a specific role, a part you were called to play, and no one else can do it for you. You have unique gifts and talents that enable you to share Christ's love. It might be a role you can play in your workplace, in your neighborhood or your school. It might be a certain relationship that provides a path to discuss faith with someone close to you. It might be the way your example of faith and integrity speaks to someone. There are any number of ways God can use each and every one of us—but we have to let God use us, to empty ourselves so that Christ might fill us, to let our lives be an offering to Christ. (This is turning into a sermon, isn't it?) We have to play the role we were called to play, to let God work through us, so that others might know Christ by our works.

Don't let your life slip by without letting Christ rule your mind, your heart, your hands, your feet, your every action. Let's join in with what God is doing.


Text for Sunday, September 23

John 15:1-11

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.


New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: