Thursday, February 20, 2014

2/20 E-News

Announcements

Job Opening-- If you're interested in being a breakfast host at Homewood Suites, they're hiring for a few positions.

Potluck!-- This Sunday


Community Kitchen Spot
There are a lot of hungry and homeless children of God and the community needs some help feeding them. If you would like to help out, please bring the following items to church this Sunday & put them on the bookshelf.
Plastic Forks, Knives, Spoons
Dinner Napkins
Heavy Duty Sectional Dinner Plates
Dessert Plates


New Hope News

Sunday SchoolWe start Matthew 12 this coming Sunday.

Fruit of the Spirit-- Sunday evenings @ 6:15

Wednesday SuppersBring your supper and join us at 6, or come to study 1 Samuel (we'll be in chapter 27 next week) at 6:30.


Pray For:
Norma Capone, Christine Dyer

Our Presbytery meeting on Saturday

For all those in the path of the storms tonight. Pray for safety, and in the midst of frightened chaos, may we reach for the hand of God only to recognize that we are already there.


Links







Keith's Random Thoughts

I've been watching the Olympics lately, and there are so many moments when I stop and think, “I could never do that and walk away.”
Women's figure skating was on last night, and I'm watching a woman jump around on a blade 1/8” thick, and then when she's done doing that, she reaches up behind her, where her leg is, and grabs the skate's blade while spinning in circles. If I tried to do that, I'd fall flat on my face, tear every muscle in my groin and slice my hand open on the skate. The Russian judge would not score that well.
Giant Slalom? I'd make the first two gates, hit the third one with my face, then tumble forward down the rest of the hill, forcing spectators to flee for their lives while a giant snowball with skis sticking out destroyed everything in its path.
Luge? Ha!

I could go on. Curling is about the only sport I could do well in. Bobsled brakeman is probably within my reach. Rachel and I were joking about what we might look like doing pairs figure skating... Sure, I'll just throw you six feet in the air while you're spinning in circles, catch you gracefully and set you on your feet, all the while gliding around on ice.

The problem is that it's all too easy to do this with my spiritual life as well. I look at others who have it all sorted together and see their dedication and discipline to the devotional life and I am alternatively jealous and harsh toward myself. I think it comes to easily to them, and I don't believe that I could ever achieve such a disciplined life.

Of course, I skip the part where they have spent years crafting their lives, and it wasn't easy for them. They had to fight against resistance at every turn, constantly refocusing their efforts, until eventually their work paid off. Not that they can just relax now, but their work has turned devotions into a life-giving thing, and they return to it time and time again because it is such a foundational part of their life now.

The Olympic athletes have done the same. Luge doesn't come naturally the first time. No one did a triple axle (I have NO idea what the difference is between the different figure skating jumps. They all look similarly hard to my untrained eye) the first time they put on skates. No one skies the giant slalom after graduating from the bunny hill. It takes hard work and countless hours. They make it look effortless by all the effort they have invested.

So may we be patient with ourselves, and may we take the long-term view with our feeble beginner efforts, trusting in the Holy Spirit to lead us deeper.


Text for this Tuesday, December 24
Acts 6:8-7:60 (ESV)




New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: