Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Hebrews 12:7-13

Hebrews 12:7-13
Contemporary English Version (CEV)

  The preacher in Hebrews nails it when he says that it is never fun to be corrected.  I see the look on Caleb's face as I correct him, and I'm sure I made the same one when I was young (and I probably still make it now!).  Children often get sad and pout, upset that they have been caught and disliking the negativity.  Adults can do this, too, but we often hide it a bit better.
  But we correct our children in the hopes that they will grow into good adults, and when we are corrected, it is because we have erred and need to be set straight.  God does the same, longing for us to grow in a good direction, redirecting us (or pruning us!) when we have gone astray.  It is for our good, this temporary pain, that we may grow toward the light rather than end up diverted away towards an illusion.  It's never fun to be corrected, but let us mature in spirit so that we recognize the gift that correction is, for only in understanding our mistakes can we see the grace that offers forgiveness and new life.

No comments: