Thursday, January 3, 2019

Colossians 1:1-5

Colossians 1:1-5 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  One of my goals for the year is to see how much Scripture I can memorize.  I've always known random verses, but I've never been able to memorize a large chunk of Scripture -- because I've never made the effort.  I'm trying this because I think it will help me learn Scripture on a deeper level.  I have to pay attention to each word to know it, to record it into my brain where it will be for recall.  I'm trying... if I can do this for the next 363 days, I'll have done it for a whole year!  I'm almost there...
  One thing that stood out to me while staring at this particular passage is that faith in Christ and love for the saints is interconnected -- it's not separate.  We don't love Christ and passively ignore others -- our faith in Christ is demonstrated in the way we love others, and reports of the way we love travel around the community.  Paul has heard about the Colossians faith and love -- they are developing a reputation!  And they're clear about what motivates all of it -- their hope in heaven.
  Take a few deep breaths and picture yourself standing before the throne of God, where God dwells in unapproachable light and God's majesty emanates from every side and bathes you in love and grace and mercy.  Hold that image in your mind.  When you're finished, remember that you will dwell in such glory forever in eternity.  That hope should motivate us -- it should lead us deeper into faith, because we understand what Christ has done for us and we want to share that hope with others, and we do this through love.
  Who are the people you're praying for, the people in your life that you want to invite to experience the love and grace of God, and what is one simple act you can do for each person that will, in some small way, show them your love?

No comments: