Friday, September 13, 2019

John 11:45-53

John 11:45-53 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Sometimes, we get the chance to clearly understand the priorities of people.  It can be sobering.  Have you ever been disappointed by realizing that someone you thought you knew well had completely different priorities than you thought?  Or perhaps you've had the pleasure of being surprised by someone's selfless priorities?
  The Pharisees were the religious leaders of the day.  They're supposed to be focused on what God is doing.  They've always seen Jesus as a threat, unable or unwilling to recognize the signs that point to Jesus being the Messiah.
  Just after Jesus finishing bringing Lazarus back from the dead, which is a pretty big sign that Jesus is who he says he is, they have a meeting and show that their true priority is not upsetting the Romans -- instead of focusing on the power and action of God, they're afraid of the Roman army.  It reminds us of King Saul, who was terrified of Goliath until David showed up and said "Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and [Goliath] shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God." (1 Samuel 17:36)  Saul was more focused on his fear of the Philistines, just like the Pharisees are more focused on their fear of the Romans.
  So what are you afraid of?  What are your deepest fears, and how do they prevent you from living into your faith?  When I take the time and am brutally honest with myself, I can see how my fear of insecurity or my fear of not being good enough prevent me from moving forward with things that I believe God is calling me towards.  It's hard to examine and harder to admit, but I, like the Pharisees and Saul, get so focused on my fear that I miss what God is doing.
  What are your fears, and how can God help you see that God's power and strength and mercy and might are enough to support you and encourage you?  God is at work in your life, and we are wise to focus on that rather than our fear.

No comments: