Tuesday, April 7, 2020

John 17:1-5

John 17:1-5
English Standard Version (ESV)

  This is Jesus' high priestly prayer that he prays before he goes out to the garden, is betrayed and arrested.  In the last week of his life, he's completely focused on what it takes to glorify God, even though the path to that leads through the cross, through his humiliation and crucifixion, through pain and betrayal and abandonment. Despite all of this, and having the weight of the world's sins placed upon his human shoulders, Jesus is focused on God's glory.
  I wish I had this kind of focus.  My focus definitely wavers, as I don't have the same courage Jesus has.  I am human, and sometimes hold a little too tightly to the things around me.  I know in my head that the more I focus on God, the better I will love the people in my life, but I'll admit I'm often too afraid of losing them, so I'll put other things in front of God.
  Jesus teaches us, Jesus shows us, that when we love God with heart, soul, and mind, that all these things will be given unto us, the rich relationships and a community of faith.  He also understands our weakness, and he comes to us, he comes to me, he comes to you in our weakness, and extends grace.  He did what he did because we could not, and so we are able to hope for a better tomorrow because of the unconditional love with which he loves us.

No comments: