Monday, July 10, 2023

Philippians 4:1-3

Philippians 4:1-3 

  Have you ever carried something tremendously heavy by yourself?  I remember when I was in college, a friend asked me to move her refrigerator at the end of the school year.  It was heavy and awkward and not easily done, but I struggled along and finally made it.  At the end of it, I realized how much easier it would have been with a partner.  I hadn't really thought ahead, and so I figured it was easier and faster to do it on my own, but looking back, I was terribly wrong.
  Many things in life are like that.  As we get older and life gets more complex, it's often not physical tasks that we're undertaking on our own, but relationship and vocational tasks.  Out of pride, we often try and tackle these on our own, not wanting to seem weak by needing help, but the reality is that these things are easier and often more enjoyable when we have a companion.  Paul is reminding the church in Philippi that he doesn't spread the Gospel on his own -- he had companions, Euodia and Syntyche, who worked side by side, along with others, in sharing the Good News of the church.
  So let us humbly admit that we need companions, and welcome the opportunity to share a burden.  We're often eager to help others but don't recognize that it can be a gift to allow others to help us.  May we form tighter bonds in our communities and help build new relationships by opening up our lives to allow others to help us out.

No comments: