Friday, September 1, 2023

Mark 5:6-13

Mark 5:6-13 

  The unclean spirits had spent years trying to destroy this man.  When Jesus intervened, they sought to destroy this herd of pigs.  That is their nature and their desire -- to destroy.
  They'll do the same things to us -- our addictions and sins want to destroy us.  They start small, and they work to claim larger and larger parts of our lives.  For the longest time, they'll be subtle, and we may not notice until they've claimed significant acreage in our lives and time.  I have some weeds like that in the backyard -- I don't pay attention for a few weeks, and suddenly they've taken over a ton of space, and it's far more work to be rid of them at that point than it would have been if I had noticed them when they were smaller.  But I was busy and distracted, and I didn't think they'd be a big problem.  I was wrong.  
  May we turn to Jesus early and often.  May we listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit as it speaks through prayer and the voices of trusted friends.  Let us watch out for small sins and temptations and addictions, for they'll never seek to stay small.  

No comments: