Thursday, August 20, 2009

Honduras (Pt. III)

I forgot to put some of my sunset pictures in yesterday. 'Sunset Mode' on the camera is fun.

This is the assembled system! We woke up early Saturday morning and started to glue it. By noon, we were all a little fuzzy from the stench of PVC glue. I would imagine that somewhere on the can it probably recommends not using it in a small, ventless room. We had dry fit everything on Friday, so Saturday was simply about gluing. And boy, did we glue. Unfortunately, we failed in one area. We did not 'glue the hound out of it'. And because of that...

This is the moment of truth, when we turned the system on for the first time to discover what we had wrought. Unfortunately, just after this triumphant moment, we noticed the leaks. At least twenty of them, some far larger than others, each heartbreaking in its own special way. We thought we knew what we were doing, but we simply hadn't used enough glue. So we took a Sharpie and started marking the leaks, each of us knowing full well what Sunday would hold--it would be the day we started to fix everything.

Of all the things that could go wrong, I'm grateful that this is what happened. It could have been much worse, and I didn't want things to go perfectly. We had the chance to learn, and I'm grateful for that, even if it did cause quite a bit of frustration and stress. Now we know.

I loved this drill. Caused quite a bit of work, as the bit was about 1/3 the size we needed, but it was still fun to use, even if we had to spend a while chipping out block afterward.

No comments: