Thursday, October 13, 2011

Devotional--Caleb, part IV


Ezekiel 3:1-3

3He said to me, O mortal, eat what is offered to you; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. 2So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. 3He said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey.
******************************

  My son is growing like a weed.  He put on 10 ounces between Friday and Monday, and he continues to grow.  At this rate he'll be asking to borrow the car keys any day now.  The reason he is growing so well is that the milk he's taking in now is some of the most nutritious stuff around.  It is feeding his body and giving him the nutrients he needs to grow.

  Just as it is pivotal to Caleb's development that he take in rich and nutritious food right now, it is pivotal to your faith development that you take in things that will feed your soul and help you grow as a Christian.  What you watch, what you read, who you spend time with--all these things affect our growth in faith.  Just as God told Ezekiel to eat the scroll, so that it would literally become a part of him, the Lord longs for us to take in good things, so that we will be formed as a Godly people.

  Eugene Peterson has written a great book called 'Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading ' if you're interested in learning more about this idea.

Blessings

No comments: