Thursday, March 28, 2013

3-28 E-News


Announcements

Maundy Thursday ServiceTonight! 6:30!

Sunrise Service6:45 on Easter morning

Easter Cantata—10:45 on Sunday morning! Be there!

Community Kitchen Spot
There are a lot of hungry and homeless children of God and the community needs some help feeding them. If you would like to help out, please bring the following items to church this Sunday & put them in the grocery cart.
8 oz. Styrofoam bowls

New Hope News

Sunday School—This Sunday, the adult class will study Philippians.

Pray For:

Christine Dyer

Connie Robinson

The Meulenbergs

All those who are visiting church this weekend, that they may see the presence of Christ among us.

Links







Keith's Random Thoughts

For the last five months, I've been battling ongoing fatigue problems.  I've been tested for everything from thyroid problems to adrenal problems to testosterone to Lyme disease.  Everyone I know has a suggestion for what it might be, from depression to lupus and so on, but at the end of the day, we simply don't know.  We check one thing at a time, hoping that the next thing might be the solution.  But we don't know.

As you can imagine, I am a bit befuddled and frustrated by this.  So I read a lot of things on the internet about ongoing fatigue.  From what I read, I could have anything from cancer to some rare disease that affects 4 people once every 10,000 years.  (I'm exaggerating... but you get the point.  The internet is a wealth of information and a frustrating place to try self-diagnosis.)

One thing that has come up is the role of diet.  Now, I eat pretty healthy, but some things I've read link many diseases back to diet.  I'm not sure how true all these things are, but I'll try anything to feel better.  So, Tuesday afternoon, I became a vegan.
I don't know how long it will last.  I don't know that it will make me feel better.  It's worth a shot, but giving up ice cream and hamburgers and lasanga seems like a lot right now.  If it works, I won't mind so much, but I may well give in the next time I wander down the ice cream aisle.

If it's true, though, then what is going in my body affects how my body is working.

Which is certainly true of our spiritual lives.

What you take in affects what comes out.  The television we watch, the books we read, the things we choose to attend to shape our minds, our hearts and our souls.  The activities we engage in form us into a certain type of people.  Are you becoming spiritually healthier?  Or sicker?

God wants all of us to grow up into mature Christians, at work for God's kingdom in the world.  For us to grow up, we have to be willing to give up some things that may be enjoyable but may not help us develop as Christians.  For us to be shaped into Godly people, we have to pay attention to what we take in, to desire the things that build us up and shun the things that tear us down.

I'm hoping that the food I eat will make me healthier.  I'm also hoping that I have the strength to invest my time in books, television, conversations and recreation that builds me up, that grows me up into the child of God that I am called to be.



Text for this Sunday
Matthew 28:1-10


After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men.
But the angel said to the women, ‘Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, “He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him.” This is my message for you.’
So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them and said, ‘Greetings!’ And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshipped him. Then Jesus said to them, ‘Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.’

New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: