Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Luke 22:7-13


Dear Theophilus,
What courage Jesus must have had!  I wish I had such courage.  I wish I could stand before those that oppose me and watch their plans unfold with no fear of their implications!  Instead, I spend hours in anxious worry, wondering if I will endure, hoping for another day.  It is a good thing that faith would not depend on my strength, for I have little of which to brag! 
As for Judas, there seems to be little merit in the man.  Surely, the first twinges of shame have reached him by this point, as he watches Jesus closely.  He must know that money will not fill the hole that he is digging in his soul.  I suppose many before and after his example have tried to do the same, elevating money to a place it does not deserve, only to find disappointment rather than joy, and while each tale is meant to be a lesson, the allure of gold and silver seems as though it will never falter.  At times, it seems easier to believe in Satan than God—I can imagine Satan laughing maniacally as Judas falls prey to this simple temptation, and yet I have such trouble picturing God.  I expect he would find pleasure in watching his faithful ones endure challenges with integrity, but it always seems easier to find pleasure in another’s failings than it is to enjoy their success.
All the powers in the world may be opposing Jesus, but he still has power to amaze.  In the preparations for the Passover you mentioned, Jesus sent Peter and John to make the preparations, which included sacrificing the lamb on the day of Unleavened Bread.  While the disciples knew that this day was coming for some time, they had apparently never discussed exactly where they would be honoring this day, for the disciples had to ask where Jesus wanted them to prepare. 
Jesus, in response, gives them some very curious instructions, words that would cause most of us to question him, but Jesus has given the disciples every reason to be completely confidant in him, so after hearing these words, Peter and John followed his instructions and found them to be accurate. 
Jesus told them that a man with a jar of water will meet them upon their entrance to Jerusalem.  He will make his way into a house, and the owner of that house is to be told that the Teacher wants to know where the guest room is, so that he may eat Passover with the disciples.
As I said—if I heard such mysterious directions from most people, I’d have a list of questions as long as your arm.  I have to imagine that more than one man carries water in a jar in Jerusalem, and if they missed the right one, would they have to start all over?  Jesus could have been a bit more clear, but Peter and John trust him.  Jesus has proved himself to be trustworthy, and he is in this case, too.  Everything is as he said, and the Passover was prepared. 
What a strange and wonderful story this is, friend.

Sincerely,
Luke

No comments: