Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 6 (D-Day) New Hope E-News

Announcements

Special GuestThis Sunday, we'll have a special guest with us. Marilyn Borst from the Outreach Committee will be with us. She'll be preaching on Sunday morning about the church's call to look beyond itself and serve others. If you're interested in attending a luncheon to talk more with Marilyn about how New Hope might be involved in God's work beyond the bounds of our church, please email me.

Church Website
It's working again! Yay! Newhopechattanooga.org




Community Kitchen Spot
There are a lot of hungry and homeless children of God and the community needs some help feeding them. If you would like to help out, please bring the following items to church this Sunday & put them in the grocery cart.
8 oz. Styrofoam bowls
Dry Milk
Styrofoam Plates
Plastic Forks/Spoons
Pasta


New Hope News

Sunday School—This Sunday, the adult class will study 1 Peter.

VBSWill be the week of July 15-18. Make your plans accordingly!



Pray For:
Lynn Meyer & Christine Dyer

Russell Mabry

John L. Wright



Links










Keith's Random Thoughts

D-Day was 69 years ago today. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to visit the beaches in Normandy. They are peaceful, serene locations, a far cry from the violent chaos that descended upon them on June 6, 1944. At the top of the cliffs there is a cemetery, a place that breaks your heart as you read the names and dates on the white crosses. You can't help but wonder what might have become of these young men had they not given their lives for their cause.
Standing on the beach, you look up toward the cliffs, and you wonder how in the world they ever ascended those heights. You wonder at the courage that must have coursed through the veins of those who charged forward. You marvel at the fear that must have overtaken many in the moments leading up to the lowering of the doors of their landing crafts. It is an imposing place, and the fact that D-Day led to the defeat of the dug-in German troops is amazing when you consider the obstacles that had to be overcome.

D-Day is not something I could have achieved on my own. It required the sacrifice of many others in order to overcome a powerful enemy. Without it, my life today would be very different. I don't know how, but I am certain this world would be a different place.

So how do I live in reflection of this event?

I think the best way to reflect gratitude is to strive for the same ideals that drove the D-Day invasion. British, American & Canadian forces stormed those beaches in an effort to liberate Europe from an overpowering foe, one intent on destruction and domination. They did not invade in the hopes of conquering Europe, but of setting it free to determine its own future. The best way I can honor their sacrifice, I believe, is to strive for my own life to be useful to others, recognizing the powers at work in the world that seek to dominate and destroy and working to free others from these powers. This entails sponsoring children through World Vision to help set them free from the powers of poverty. It may mean joining in with the fight against trafficking, or striving to feed the hungry or help minorities obtain equal rights. It might mean something different for each of us, but remembering the sacrifice others made should change the way we see our own lives, that we live not for ourselves, but to benefit others. There is a greater good.

As a Christian, the sacrifice of Christ should drive me to examine my own motives. Am I living out of selflessness, or am I motivated to strive for peace and prosperity only in my own little kingdom? Do I build up others, or stride over them when the need arises? Christ loved at cost to himself. Am I willing to let the needs of others infringe upon my life?

These are hard questions, ones that I often avoid. But the more they are asked, the more I must wrestle with them. The more I wrestle, the more I recognize the truth that it is God's Kingdom I am called to serve, rather than my own.



Text for this Sunday
Romans 1:8-12
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed throughout the world. For God, whom I serve with my spirit by announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you always in my prayers, asking that by God’s will I may somehow at last succeed in coming to you. For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine.

New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: