Thursday, April 17, 2014

Psalm 35:11-18

Psalm 35:11-18 
Common English Bible (CEB) 

  11 Violent witnesses stand up. They question me about things I know nothing about. 12 They pay me back evil for good, leaving me stricken with grief. 13 But when they were sick, I wore clothes for grieving, and I kept a strict fast. When my prayer came back unanswered, 14 I would wander around like I was grieving a friend or a brother. I was weighed down, sad, like I was a mother in mourning.
  15 But when I stumbled, they celebrated and gathered together— they gathered together against me! Strangers I didn’t know tore me to pieces and wouldn’t quit. 16 They ridiculed me over and over again, like godless people would do, grinding their teeth at me.
  17 How long, my Lord, will you watch this happen? Rescue me from their attacks; rescue my precious life from these predatory lions! 18 Then I will thank you in the great assembly; I will praise you in a huge crowd of people.

*********************

  This world is not fair.  If you forget this fact, you'll probably be reminded of it again before long.
  Here, the Psalmist is lamenting that he treated those around him with respect, and yet none of it was returned to him.  Instead, they mocked and ridiculed him.
  If we expect fairness from the world, we'll be disappointed.  The great news is that God isn't fair, either.
  God gives us more than we deserve.  God gives more richly than we deserve.  God gives us love even though we have not earned it.  Often, the world will give us less than we feel we deserve, and we'll feel slighted.  God is so generous, however, that he longs to pour out love upon us, and will do so far beyond what we can even begin to understand.
  So may we allow the unfairness of the world to pass us by, and may we get caught up in the delightful unfairness of God.

May you be grateful today

No comments: