Friday, April 25, 2014

Psalm 37:23-28

Psalm 37:23-28
New Living Translation (NLT) 

  23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. 24 Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. 25 Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread.
  26 The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing. 27 Turn from evil and do good, and you will live in the land forever. 28 For the Lord loves justice, and he will never abandon the godly. He will keep them safe forever, but the children of the wicked will die.

********************

  I make mistakes.  Lots of them.  I don't keep a list handy, but it would be pretty long if I did.  It's tough reading the Psalms because the Psalmist often seems to live a very, very righteous life, one that looks far different than mine.
  So I find consolation here in verse 24, when the Psalmist acknowledges that the godly will stumble.  We're going to trip over things, some of them self-made obstacles.  The important thing is that when we do stumble, we don't fall from the grasp of God.
  It's like when I hold Caleb's hand as he's walking on the curb.  He stumbles sometimes, and he would fall if I were not holding him, but I prevent injury by keeping him from falling.  I'm there, allowing him to try something, but ready to protect.
  God does the same for us.  He loves us enough to allow us to be free, and yet he is right beside us through every moment of life, giving us room to stumble but always close enough to prevent us from falling.

May you trust the presence of God today

No comments: