Friday, October 24, 2014

Psalm 92:1-9

Psalm 92:1-9
New Century Version (NCV)

  I remember being jealous of bigger kids when I was younger.  I wasn't one of the smallest kids in my class, but I was never tall, either, and so I recall wishing I could be tall, wishing that I would be bigger than other kids in my class.
  In the same way, we tend to be jealous of some of the fruits of evil that surround us.  We see people who live amorally succeed.  We see people prosper from bending the rules, and we get envious.  We start to wonder if it's worth it to follow the rules, to stay faithful, even though the way of faithfulness may lead us through the valley of the shadow of death and may cause hardship and struggles.  We wonder if it's all worth it.
  God assures us that it is our endurance that helps us persevere.  He reminds us that evil will seem to win the day, but that evil will topple in the end.  The Tower of Babel seemed promising, too, until it collapsed under the weight of human arrogance.  Those who live for themselves may do well for a time, but those who live for God will endure and inherit an eternal crown of righteousness.

May you see and value the wisdom of enduring faithfulness

No comments: