Friday, October 6, 2017

Psalm 131

Psalm 131
English Standard Version (ESV) 

  This is one of my favorite Psalms.  I'll admit that my mind often runs far, far forward, worrying about things that I shouldn't even be thinking about.  It's taken me over a decade to find the best ways to calm myself, and this is one of the best resources I have.  I often stop, and imagine myself immersed in the arms of God, awash in his love, surrounded by light.  Like a child in the arms of a loving parent, so are we each held in the arms and presence of God.  As Augustine says, God loves you as if there was only one to love.  There is nothing we need more than the love of God, and so when I get anxious, I try and focus on how the love of God is holding me up, sustaining me, carrying me through.  It calms my mind, it calms my soul, and God is enough.

No comments: