Tuesday, November 18, 2008

John 13:31-38

31-32When he had left, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is seen for who he is, and God seen for who he is in him. The moment God is seen in him, God's glory will be on display. In glorifying him, he himself is glorified—glory all around!

33"Children, I am with you for only a short time longer. You are going to look high and low for me. But just as I told the Jews, I'm telling you: 'Where I go, you are not able to come.'

34-35"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."

36Simon Peter asked, "Master, just where are you going?"

Jesus answered, "You can't now follow me where I'm going. You will follow later."

37"Master," said Peter, "why can't I follow now? I'll lay down my life for you!"

38"Really? You'll lay down your life for me? The truth is that before the rooster crows, you'll deny me three times."


********************


Reading this I feel like there's a celebration going on but Jesus is the only one who realizes what exactly is going on. He wants everyone to be excited, to revel in the amazing thing that God has done and rejoice in God's power and gracious love, but instead everybody has so many questions. They just can't see. They can't wrap their minds around exactly who Jesus Christ is and what that means.

It is often our vision that is the problem. Our desires our not the problem; we want our lives to be lifted up in worship. It's just that we can't see to understand how that will happen. We can't understand the steps we need to take so that we are followers of Christ. We pray for revelation from God that seems to never come. We don't see the world God sees it, and it is so difficult to wrap our minds around how God works. This is the God whose power was displayed on a cross. This is a God whose love was displayed through death. This is the God who speaks through silence and moves through soup kitchens. Be still, be calm, and seek for God, but do not despair if it is not all laid out before you. God is present, I promise you that, but God is working in your life slowly, day by day, and often in the small things we tend to not notice. Be still, and know that God is with you every second of the way.


Blessings

No comments: