Monday, November 24, 2008

John 16:1-15

1-4 "I've told you these things to prepare you for rough times ahead. They are going to throw you out of the meeting places. There will even come a time when anyone who kills you will think he's doing God a favor. They will do these things because they never really understood the Father. I've told you these things so that when the time comes and they start in on you, you'll be well-warned and ready for them.
The Friend Will Come
4-7"I didn't tell you this earlier because I was with you every day. But now I am on my way to the One who sent me. Not one of you has asked, 'Where are you going?' Instead, the longer I've talked, the sadder you've become. So let me say it again, this truth: It's better for you that I leave. If I don't leave, the Friend won't come. But if I go, I'll send him to you.

8-11"When he comes, he'll expose the error of the godless world's view of sin, righteousness, and judgment: He'll show them that their refusal to believe in me is their basic sin; that righteousness comes from above, where I am with the Father, out of their sight and control; that judgment takes place as the ruler of this godless world is brought to trial and convicted.

12-15"I still have many things to tell you, but you can't handle them now. But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. He won't draw attention to himself, but will make sense out of what is about to happen and, indeed, out of all that I have done and said. He will honor me; he will take from me and deliver it to you. Everything the Father has is also mine. That is why I've said, 'He takes from me and delivers to you.'

*********


What do you think of the translation of Holy Spirit as 'Friend'? Seems strange, doesn't it? I am accustomed to Comforter, but friend? Maybe it pushes us in a new direction. I think what Christ is saying is that we need to be prepared to think of the Spirit as a friend, as someone who will be with us always, pushing us to grow, to be challenged, to see the world through God's eyes. The Spirit won't let us be comfortable and simply accept the things around us, but rather compel us to go out into the world and be the hands and feet of Christ. The life of Christ is a blessing beyond words; the Friend reminds us to go forward and be a blessing to others.


Blessings

No comments: