Wednesday, November 19, 2008

John 14:1-14

1-4 "Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you? Trust me. There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. And you already know the road I'm taking."

5Thomas said, "Master, we have no idea where you're going. How do you expect us to know the road?"

6-7Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him. You've even seen him!"

8Philip said, "Master, show us the Father; then we'll be content."

9-10"You've been with me all this time, Philip, and you still don't understand? To see me is to see the Father. So how can you ask, 'Where is the Father?' Don't you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you aren't mere words. I don't just make them up on my own. The Father who resides in me crafts each word into a divine act.

11-14"Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.


********************

We have the luxury of looking back on the resurrection, the assurance that everything Jesus said or did was confirmed by his defeat of death after three days in the tomb. The disciples had none of that. They followed him everywhere, and yet they each wanted something to be sure they were doing the right thing. Apparently the feedings and other miracles weren't enough; there had to be something more.


We always need something more. Being content doesn't seem to be a gift we have in our society. More proof, more faith, more knowledge; we are always seeking more. In many ways, this is a good thing, for we don't get comfortable and forget to continue seeking after the will of God. Yet we also need to rest in the comfort that Christ offers through his saving death and resurrection. Rest easy, assured that he is the way, the truth and the life, and we have no need of anxiety for the love of Christ will hold us and keep us.


Blessings

No comments: