Sunday, May 22, 2011

Babies!

  Does this post exist for the sole purpose of bragging about the fact that I got third place in my age group (and there were more than 3 people in it!) in the Sevierville Triathlon?

  Perhaps.

  I just have to admit that it was amazing the emotions that went through my head when Rachel called me after the race.  She told me she had finally felt what she was certain was the baby's first kick.  (warming up for soccer season, no doubt.  Perhaps we'll name him Pele!)

  Suddenly, the feat I had just accomplished paled in comparison to this small child's blind kick.  All that I have done is suddenly placed in contrast to the life that exists in the womb.

  And I couldn't be more excited about it.

  Rachel and I have talked for a long time about this child.  I am so thrilled to share this adventure with a wide-eyed young man, a boy for whom I have the honor of living.  I get to pass along all the things I've learned, the wisdom from the mistakes and the lessons from the triumphs.  He may well ignore the good parts, but I have the opportunity to dedicate my life to the raising of this child, to do all that I can to help this young boy become a man of God.

  What a privilege.  What an honor.

  It puts my own life in perspective--I can live my life to the fullest, but I now have the great joy of a young man to live for.  May I do so in such a way as to teach him well how to seek God with all his heart, to hate sin and love neighbor.

  (and perhaps I'll place in a few more triathlons, too!)

No comments: