Monday, May 5, 2014

Psalm 40:1-10

Psalm 40:1-10 
21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

  40 I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock and established my goings. 3 And He hath put a new song in my mouth; even praise unto our God; many shall see it and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
  4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. 5 Many, O Lord my God, are Thy wonderful works which Thou hast done; and Thy thoughts which are directed toward us, they cannot be reckoned up in order unto Thee. If I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. 6 Sacrifice and offering Thou didst not desire; mine ears hast Thou opened; burnt offering and sin offering hast Thou not required. 7 Then said I, “Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me: 8 I delight to do Thy will, O my God; yea, Thy law is within my heart.”
  9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation; lo, I have not restrained my lips, O Lord, Thou knowest. 10 I have not hid Thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation; I have not concealed Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth from the great congregation.

**********************

  Caleb often does what we ask him to do.  Sometimes, he even does it willingly.  This brings much more joy to me than when he begrudgingly obeys, his every bodily movement betraying the fact that he is not complying with gladness in his heart.  There are days when he certainly does not delight to do our will.
  And so it matters how we serve God.  If we do so with hardness in our hearts, serving God because it seems like the right thing to do, I don't think God finds much joy in that.  When we serve God with delight and gratitude, it's a very different type of service.  I think it looks different to God, who knows the very thoughts of our hearts.
  So how do we delight in doing God's will?
  I think that we, like the Psalmist, need to remember the miry pit out of which we have been drawn.  Our feet have been set on the solid foundation of Christ not because we figured out the path upward, but because God reached down to us and drew us out.  We who deserved nothing have been freely given everything, and nothing can take that away from us.
  So may gratitude for this gracious act of God rule in our hearts and minds, and may we serve from this deep place of wonder at the love of God.

  May you be overwhelmed by delight when you contemplate all God has done for you

No comments: