Friday, June 13, 2014

Psalm 55:1-11

Psalm 55:1-11
  The Message (MSG)
 
  55 1-3 Open your ears, God, to my prayer; don’t pretend you don’t hear me knocking. Come close and whisper your answer. I really need you. I shudder at the mean voice, quail before the evil eye, As they pile on the guilt, stockpile angry slander.
  4-8 My insides are turned inside out; specters of death have me down. I shake with fear, I shudder from head to foot. “Who will give me wings,” I ask— “wings like a dove?” Get me out of here on dove wings; I want some peace and quiet. I want a walk in the country, I want a cabin in the woods. I’m desperate for a change from rage and stormy weather.
  9-11 Come down hard, Lord—slit their tongues. I’m appalled how they’ve split the city Into rival gangs prowling the alleys Day and night spoiling for a fight, trash piled in the streets, Even shopkeepers gouging and cheating in broad daylight.

***********************

  The biggest question we wrestle with, I think, is the presence of evil.  We wonder why God allows it.  We wonder why God doesn't step in and intervene, why God doesn't destroy evil and allow peace on earth to reign.  What is the purpose of suffering and death when God has the power to prevent it?
  I don't have the answers to this.  I believe that God will one day vanquish evil, and that eternal life with God is available to all who believe.  In the beginning, we walked away from God and chose evil, and we're still suffering the consequences of that decision.  God gives us free will to love him, which means we have free will not to love him.  I don't want God to force me to love him, but it sure would be nice if God got rid of the violence and hunger and disease.
  That's just it... I want God to get rid of the evil, but I still want my free will.  I can't have both right now--I have just as much evil in my heart as anyone else on earth, for I am sinful and fallen.
  God will redeem.  God will emerge victorious.  We have to wait on the Lord and trust in him, but it isn't easy.  We have big questions, and so I give thanks for a faith that allows me to ask these questions of God and believe that he is big enough to have answers.

May you trust in God's grace today

No comments: