Monday, June 9, 2014

The Big Letter

Friends in Christ,

For the last 6.5 years, it has been a blessing and an honor to serve as your pastor. I have endeavored to do everything in my power to serve faithfully, and I can only hope and pray that my time here has been spent nourishing what was handed to me and planting seeds that God will water and grow to bear fruit in God's own time.
The decision to leave New Hope has easily been the most difficult and heart-wrenching decision Rachel and I have ever made. We have been embraced by your love and fellowship and been supported from the first day of our time in Chattanooga. It is not with ease or lightness that we leave behind such a gathering of the saints of the church. At the same time, we feel certain that our next step as a family carries us beyond the bounds of Chattanooga, and thus we have made the decision to move.

Our life has certainly changed since we arrived. We recognize that our two children drastically change the way we make decisions, and family is a very important part of our lives. As our children grow, it is more and more difficult to be a day's drive from grandparents, and so we have made the decision to move to Columbus, Ohio in the hopes of allowing our children to grow closer to their grandparents and for us to draw from the support of nearby family.
This move also allows me to pursue my dream of becoming more deeply involved in the mission work of the global church. From my time at seminary, I have a deep interest in how the church actively serves in the world, and I have a long-term goal of working with a mission agency such as World Vision. To that end, I'll be pursuing a business degree in the hopes of gaining corporate knowledge and experience that I can combine with my ministry and mission knowledge and skills.

I know that the transition will not be easy for the congregation, but I also know the Presbytery will do its best to support and encourage New Hope as it visions ahead for what God might have in store for this congregation. Many of you may have questions for me or questions about the future. I will do my best to be available and answer those, and I will keep the congregation in my prayers.
It is my genuine hope that someone more able than I will come along and help navigate New Hope through the challenges and opportunities that await, so that the Word of God will be richly proclaimed in Word and in deed, that this place on this busy corner will not only see a clear vision for its future but also pursue it with defined steps that will ensure the sustainability of the ministry in this place. May God continue to bless this congregation, that it may be a blessing to others.

Thank you, each and every one of you—for your time, your service, your dedication and faithfulness, and for your love and support. Where my efforts have been fruitful, I give thanks to God for his grace and wisdom. Where I have failed, in my leadership and in my proclamation, I humbly ask your forgiveness. I pray that the congregation will grow in faithfulness, and that the Holy Spirit will lead you all into the abundant and eternal life Christ freely offers to us.

In Christ,

Rev. Keith Jones

No comments: