Friday, November 18, 2016

1 John 2:12-17

1 John 2:12-17
Contemporary English Version (CEV) 

  What's the most important thing?  I know how I'd like to answer that, and yet if you look at how I spend my days, where my heart and mind are concentrated, does that fit?
  I was listening to a sermon on the way home that talked about how many people who attended church don't really follow Christ, and I always cringe when I hear pastors talk like that, because I'm afraid of becoming one of those people.  I pray every morning for the Holy Spirit to capture my heart, and yet when I look back at the end of the day, I can't help but wonder how I can let that prayer shape the rest of my day, rather than falling pray to the tyranny of the urgent.
  It's only through dependence on God do we ever grow into the person God wants us to be.  The Holy Spirit speaks to us and calls us deeper into grace each and every day, and so we lean into God, recognizing our complete dependence on him and our inability to secure our own salvation.  There is nothing we can do to add to what Christ has done for us on the cross, so we are to receive what God gives freely.

No comments: