Monday, December 18, 2017

Psalm 119:117-120

Psalm 119:117-120
New International Version (NIV)

  When I think about the futures of my children, I experience a wide range of emotions. I get excited for the people they are becoming.  I have some anxieties about the things I cannot control.  Sometimes I am fearful for the things that may threaten or harm them.  I love seeing them joyful, and I project that into the future and am overwhelmed by the amazing people they are becoming.  It is hard to capture all my emotions.
  The Psalmist, too, cannot quite grasp all the different ways we react to God.  There is fear, for our God is a righteous God who is perfect in every way.  I, for one, am not quite perfect, and on my best days I don't even come close.  So I am afraid that I am not good enough for God.
  I am also in awe, because of the radical ways in which God shows his great love for me.  Although I am not good enough, God covers me in grace and love and invites me into the throneroom of heaven through the gift of his son, Jesus Christ.  Through him, I am enough.  I am worthy through the gift of grace, and so I stand in awe of God. 
  Sometimes, I am afraid because this seems too good to be true.  Other times, I am so excited I can scarcely speak.  We are caught up in so many emotions when we speak of God. 
  I don't think we need to hide any of these emotions from God.  When we pray, we can be honest before God about our fears and hopes and joys and anxieties.  As any good parent, God wants to console us in our fear and comfort us in our sorrow, while also celebrating with us in our best moments and encouraging us to the future.  Remember that God loves you more than words can express, and God is excited about the eternal future you have with him.

No comments: