Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Psalm 119:25-32

Psalm 119:25-32
New International Version (NIV)

  My prayer most mornings is that the Holy Spirit would help me want to love the Lord more than I want anything else.  It's a simple prayer, and it doesn't take long to say, but it captures where I am right now -- I want to want God more than I want other things.  I'm asking God to redirect the desires of my heart.
  If we're honest, and I'm going to be because maybe it will help someone else, I'm not very good at follow through.  I've been praying this for a while, and I'm not sure that my life looks any different.  I still long for material things, for comfort and for wealth.  I walk by the mini-mart in our building and see the dollar amount of the Powerball and think how much better life would be if I won (Someone much wiser than I once said that money doesn't change us - it only amplifies our personalities.  I'm sure that's true of other people....)  I want lots of things, but I have a hard time wanting to want God more than anything else.  If I could train my heart to seek true satisfaction from God, then I would find lasting peace from worry and anxiety.  If I could recognize that accepting the grace of Christ means halting my sinful pursuit of comfort for comfort's sake, then my life would have more margin in it because I wouldn't be chasing material things so often, but those material things are HARD to turn away from.  I'd love to have a big house and a nice car and lots of stuff -- then I'd be happy, right?
  I know the true answer to that, but I'm conditioned to seek that stuff.  I've been training my whole life, and now I'm praying to God that I want God more than anything else.  If I can move in that direction, it'll help the eyes of my heart see that true and lasting peace comes from God, and that generosity is a better path. 
  I keep praying.  Someday, God willing, I'll take baby steps in the right direction.  "Preserve my life according to your Word."

No comments: