Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Honduras (Pt. IV)



Our trip to Honduras ended with a promise. We had installed the water system and it was working. The water that came from the end of the filtration system tasted better than the water that comes from my tap at home. It has a clean, refreshing taste, and it is remarkable to believe that regardless of what goes in the intake, the water going out all tastes the same.

Our installation finished, we were charged with finding a site for next year. This was our promise. We visited a school, not a mile down the road from where we were staying, with seventy children in dusty classrooms. The water there was filthy, and the seventy-seven houses in the community did not have access to clean water. We will do everything we can to change that next year. It seems like a long way away, but I am confidant that it will be here before I realize it is possible. Next year...

Living Waters helped me to change the world. It wasn't a huge change, but it was a change. That filtration system we installed will change the lives of all who drink from it, rather than drinking from a polluted source. Each individual who we met will now associate clean water with Chattanooga, TN. It was such a blessing to be a part of their walk for a short time.

It changed me, as well. Honduras is not so far away, anymore. The people of Honduras are not so far from my heart, either. Amidst all the political turmoil and unrest that is charging down the streets of Honduras, there are Christians in search of something to eat, of safe water to drink. May we never forget our brothers and sisters in need, both here in Chattanooga and around the world. In the mountains of Honduras my eyes were opened to a different kind of need, and I pray that will continue to change me, to soften my heart and change the way I see, so that I will be more compelled to serve, to love, and to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, the hope beyond any hope we can conjure up, in all that I do.

Thanks be to God!

No comments: