Sunday, September 26, 2010

Straight No Chaser



Last Thursday Rachel & I went to see Straight No Chaser in concert. They're an acapella group out of Indiana, and while I will freely admit that the concert was completely Rachel's idea, I will say I thoroughly enjoyed myself. They put on a great show, and the second half of their concert was one of the more entertaining shows I have attended.

After the concert, we got to talking about how enjoyable it was to know that this group was filled with very talented musicians, especially in this day and age, when most musicians seem to be manufactured, thanks to very talented computer mixers and expensive equipment designed to make them sound better than they are. How can one know who is actually a very talented singer and who is simply a product of an excited music industry?

I kept turning this idea over in my head, thinking about the importance of authenticity. Is it any different in the Christian world? We see so many carefully manufactured and managed personas that often we aren't even sure who is authentic. But then we run across those people who have complete integrity, who are the real deal, who walk the walk as well as talk the talk, and we appreciate them so much more because of the rarity of this trait.

In a world crying out for authenticity and integrity, may the Christians of the world have the boldness and courage to stand up and be counted, to live the discipleship we proclaim, to admit our wrongdoings but always strive for, as Paul says, the more excellent way.

No comments: