Thursday, November 10, 2011

PSU

  I believe that Jesus loves everyone.

  I have to work pretty hard to remind myself of that in the case of child molesters.

  This whole mess at Penn State appalls me, disgusts me, roils my stomach and gets me angrier and angrier the more I read and hear about it.  I have read almost every article I could in the last few days about it, and each one seems to have revealed some seedier side of this whole mess.  I want to run and hide and cover my ears and never hear another word of it.

  It saddens me, most of all, for the victims.  The last I heard there were eight that they knew of, but considering the free reign Jerry Sandusky had to young boys through his charity, I would be shocked if that's all there were.  These boys, now young men, will have to wrestle their entire lives with inabilities to trust others.  Those who were in power failed to protect them from a man they knew to be dangerous, and they will not be able to live normal lives because of it.

  It angers me that grown men knew about this and did nothing to stop it.  From Mike McQuery to Joe Paterno to anyone else who knew that there was a child predator on the loose, it angers me.  Grown men are supposed to protect children, to help them grow and flourish as God's children.  They aren't supposed to turn a blind eye when one of their own is preying on children.  They aren't supposed to hear stories about naked men in the shower with young boys, no matter what details they heard or didn't hear, and go on living like nothing happened.  They're supposed to do something more than just pass the story on and try to erase it from their minds.  It's not enough to do the bare minimum and hope someone else solves the problem.  Call the police, call the newspaper, call anyone--follow up.  Do something.  Do anything.  Children depended on these men, and they failed him.

  Over the last few days there have been countless debates over the future of Penn State's football program.  The football team matters so little right now when compared to the havoc that has descended upon the lives of these young men through the halls of the organization that some sought to protect through their silence.  I hope we can forget about the football team and remember what truly matters in this sordid affair.

  One verse from the Bible has been bouncing around my mind whenever I hear of this scandal--and I pray that each adult who has the ability to protect a child from a predator would remember it and do whatever they can to keep the child safe.  And may we be in prayer for all of those involved in this scandalous event.  Christ calls us to love them still, each and every one of them, whatever that love may look like.

  Matthew 18:6 If any of you put a stumbling-block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea.

No comments: