Thursday, June 14, 2012

6/14 E-News


Announcements

Bridal ShowerThe church will celebrate with Elea Geerlings next Saturday, June 23rd, from 2-4 in the McMillan Building.

Family CampI know that Labor Day seems like a long way away, but we're already making plans for Family Camp at John Knox Center. We've got some exciting things planned for the year, so be sure to sign up early! Registration forms are in the Narthex.

VBS—It's almost that time! VBS will be from July 23-27.

New Hope News

Sermon SeriesThis Sunday we'll begin a two month sermon series on what the New Testament has to say regarding different topics. This week we'll tackle relationships.

Sunday School—We'll explore Nehemiah this Sunday @ 9:45.

Sunday Evening Prayer ServiceCanceled for the next two weeks.

Pray for:

David Smith

Darryl Brock

Links
Finding your purpose (This is the best article I've read in some time.)




Book Recommendation

Feel overwhelmed? What if I told you it was possible to live a simpler life? I know—it sounds too good to be true. Each of us longs for things to be simpler, to be single-mindedly focused on Christ as Lord of all. I don't pretend that it is easy—it if was, we'd all be living the ideal life. But I believe it is possible for us to simplify. Richard Foster has written a great little book called Freedom of Simplicity (used copies abound) to help us along the way. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and it's a great little volume to encourage us to take seriously the call of discipleship.

Random Thoughts

So this Sunday is my first Father's Day. In eight shorts months, I have learned quite a bit about being a parent. Caleb has also learned quite a bit about my parenting, too. You can tell this because every time I pick him up he looks around for mom to save him!

There's something incredible about the love a parent has for a child. It changes the way I understand unconditional love. I'm not sure there are adequate words to explain exactly how this change has taken place, but I know that from the moment Caleb was born, I have loved him more immensely than I ever thought possible. His every smile brings joy to my heart, and when he is hurting my very soul aches for him. I pray that he will grow to be faithful, that he will be good, that he will wander down the road of Christian maturity far more wisely than I.

In all of this, I begin to see more clearly the love of our Father in heaven. His love has no bounds, no edge, no bottom. It is as boundless as he, and we will never reach the limits. He has told us that hell itself shall not prevent his love from being separated from us. He, too, longs for us to choose the faithful path, as hard as it may be. His love is willing to go to such an extent that his own Son was not too high a price to show us his love, to demonstrate his willingness to sacrifice. I believe God's own heart aches as he sees our sin and the human brokenness that is a result of it. God could very well have created the oceans through tears shed at the thought of our neglect of his Lordship over life.

But God does not abandon us, even in our sin. Jesus knew the disciples would abandon him in the hour of his arrest, and yet even then he was making provisions to meet them after his resurrection. (Matt. 26:32) The invitation to an embrace of God's love is always standing. What it takes on our part is the courage and humility to come and bow low before the throne, accepting his love and grace as something we can never earn, and allowing that love to light our path.

In the same way that Caleb does not have to earn my love, I do not have to earn God's love. It is a free gift. May my choices be made in light of that gift, and may I turn back to God and shout songs of love with my whole heart.



Text for Sunday, June 17

Revelation 21:1-6

The New Heaven and the New Earth

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them; he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away.’

 And the one who was seated on the throne said, ‘See, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.’ Then he said to me, ‘It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life.



NewHopeChattanooga.org
New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: