Thursday, December 19, 2013

12/19 New Hope E-News

Announcements

Kids' Musical-- This Sunday!

Service of Healing & Wholeness-- For all who struggle with any and all of Christmas, we hold this service yearly as a place to come and let the hope of Christ and the love of the community surround us. December 22 @ 6pm.

Candlelight Christmas Eve Service of Lessons & Carols-- December 24, 7 pm.


Community Kitchen Spot
There are a lot of hungry and homeless children of God and the community needs some help feeding them. If you would like to help out, please bring the following items to church this Sunday & put them on the bookshelf.
Plastic Forks, Knives, Spoons
Dinner Napkins
Heavy Duty Sectional Dinner Plates


New Hope News

Sunday SchoolWe push forward through Matthew 8 this coming Sunday.

Sam's CardPlease check and see if you have the church Sam's Card. We are not sure who borrowed it last, but it has not been returned.



Pray For:
Lynn Meyer—please pray for Roger and Lynn as the eternal life into which she was baptized draws near. While death has been defeated and the veil separating us from God has been torn in two, there is still much pain and many tears as we grieve the wounds that death punches into our hearts and minds.

Norma Capone—
she will be in surgery throughout today, so please be in constant prayer for her

The O'Rear Family

Christine Dyer

For Jessica and so many others wrestling with cancer

For Christmas joy and hope and peace and wonder to wash over all of us in such powerful ways that we never forget what Christ our King has done for us


Links









Keith's Random Thoughts

Apparently, Christmas is next Wednesday. My tree still isn't up...
People ask if we're ready for Christmas. 
 Well, I suppose that depends on what you mean. By 'ready', do you mean that presents are bought and the house decorated? The answer would be no. We don't do many presents at Christmas, and decorations are still in their boxes in the basement. Who knew a second kid could make things that much more chaotic?
By 'ready', do you mean ready to receive a Savior into my life, a light for my darkness, hope for my despair?
I am ready in the sense that I need a Savior. I am a mess, and only my Lord and God can save me. I cannot save myself. The way that I act, the way that I think, the way that I live—it is all in need of redemption. In that sense, I am ready.
But if you were to ask whether or not I am ready to hand everything over to my Savior, the honest answer is no. I hold back from letting Christ be Lord of all of life. I stubbornly refuse to cede complete control to him, and I suffer as a result of that choice. The burdens that I choose to carry weigh me down, body and soul, and I am struggling forward, waiting for Christ to relieve me of these burdens, ignoring the fact that he has already made the offer and that I am carrying them of my own volition. I need to let him be Lord, but I am afraid of the unknown quality of my life if I were to let him reign supreme in my heart, mind, body & soul.
So if I'm honest, I'm not ready. My soul and heart are yearning to be set free from the prison of despair and sin, and Christ has unlocked the door and beckoned me out into the light. He has come into my cell and sat with me, and he has shown me the way to abundant life.
Yet, here I sit, in the darkness, stubbornly resisting, holding onto sin, trying to tunnel my own way out of my cell with my gnarled and bleeding hands. It's foolish. But it's what sin does to us—leaves us as fools wishing for meager gifts when Christ the Lord has set all of heaven before us as a gift, yet we somehow believe the lie that we are better off playing in the shadows.
Behold, the light has come!”







Text for this Tuesday, December 24
Luke 2:1-7 (ESV)

In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. 2 This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3 And all went to be registered, each to his own town. 4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, 5 to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. 6 And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. 7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.


New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: