Monday, February 22, 2016

Genesis 4:9-16

Genesis 4:9-16
Contemporary English Version (CEV)

  The answer to Cain's question in verse 9?  It's yes.  He's supposed to look after his brother.
  Today's world is a complex place, with every issue being so nuanced that blanket positions are rarely possible.  I'm not going to stand up and tell everyone exactly what position to take on immigration and poverty and inequality and debt and a thousand other issues.  I have my opinions, but I also recognize how challenging some of these questions are, and almost any potential solution has a myriad of weaknesses.
  But we're supposed to care.  We are supposed to look after one another.  Whatever we believe is the right path forward when faced with the hardship of a fellow human being, we are supposed to move forward by creating a solution that honors one another.  We're supposed to love one another, and our politics should reflect that.  Our choices should reflect that.  Our work and our home and our budget should reflect that we are trying to live out Christ's command to love one another.
  It's not easy.  Often, I get it wrong and settle for the solution that is easiest and/or brings me the most comfort.  Occasionally, I wonder how I would answer the question if God asked me where my brothers and sisters in Christ are.  Could I say that I made an effort to love selflessly?

No comments: