Thursday, February 23, 2017

acts 2:14-21

Acts 2:14-21
English Standard Version (ESV)

  The longer I live, the more I recognize how little control I have in the world.  I try and control what I can, and I often try and control what I can't, but it's a big, big world, and there are so many forces beyond my control.  Just driving down the freeway is a good reminder of how small I am -- so many cars are careening this way and that while the driver answers some vital email that it's all I can do to safely arrive at my destination.
  And so when I look beyond the stars and wonder at the God who crafted it all, I can't help but be grateful that Peter spells out very clearly what the path forward through it all is:  to call upon the name of the Lord is to be saved.  To bow the knee and confess him as Lord is to transfer responsibility from myself to Jesus Christ, the Holy and Risen Son of God.  At that point, it's not about how small I am, but it's about how big God is.  I am no longer lost as an insignificant speck in the mass of humanity, but I acknowledge that God has formed my inward parts and loves me as a unique child of God.  I am beloved and I am saved, because I am His.

No comments: