Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Psalm 119:121-128

Psalm 119:121-128
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Lots of people wonder if there is a God or not.  They look at the world around, which has its fair share of problems, and cannot imagine how God would fit into the picture.  I don't know how many people would say it's a lost cause, but to describe it as a place created by a benevolent God who cares deeply for the world and all who live here and who is planning on coming back to redeem all of Creation, well, it's easy to see how some people would say that might be a stretch.
  Now, I'm not a scholar who can prove the existence of God in a sentence or paragraph.  I'll freely admit that there have been days where I have wondered if God is really there.  There are certainly times when it would be easier to not believe in God.
  But here's the thing -- when I look at the world around me, I see that there are things that are not the way they should be, and they feel wrong to me.  When I read about murders and drugs and exploitation and slavery, there is something within that tells me that such things are wrong, and we as a society agree that such things are wrong.  Where does that come from, if it's not rooted in a deeply personal God who sends the Holy Spirit to plant within us a longing for God's salvation?  We have a sense that things are not as they should be, which means that we have been given a sense for how things should be.  If not for God, how would we know how things should be?  God has planted an ethic within us, and we strive for what is good.  Even people who do not openly serve God can often recognize right and wrong.
  So I long for God's salvation, when all will be set right.  That longing within me supports the other evidence in my life that God is real and God is at work, using me as an agent in the world to serve and proclaim another Kingdom.

No comments: