Monday, July 22, 2019

John 6:1-6

John 6:1-6 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Often, I wish Jesus would just tell me the answers.  Here, the crowds are coming and Jesus is going to miraculously feed them.  Instead of telling the disciples what he was going to do, he asks Philip, seeing if Philip really believes that such miracles can occur (Remember -- God fed the Israelites with manna from heaven 6 days a week for 40 years while they wandered in the wilderness, so miraculous feedings of large crowds should be woven into the DNA of the Jewish community).  Philip, though is focused on the present, not the possibilities, and so he misses the moment where Jesus is trying to lift his vision.
  I'm the same way.  I focus on the present, often on scarcity, wondering if I'll have enough, especially if anything changes.  Rather than focus my vision on what God might do and make choices that might draw me into uncertainty, I try and think my own way forward, not leaving much room for God to do the miraculous.  I basically try and figure it out for myself and then invite God to participate in my plan. 
  Jesus is trying to teach a lifestyle here.  Jesus is trying to focus our hearts on a future where God is completely in control, and we're trusting that even though we can't see the way forward, Jesus is leading us into an abundant future, where the economic situation is completely different -- those with no money are invited to come, buy and eat, and a banquet table is prepared for all who come and dine with the King.  We can't make this future, but God is at work, and we're invited to participate, assuming we can let God be in charge and have hearts caught up in a greater vision for what the new reality will be.

No comments: