Monday, March 29, 2021

Ruth 2:8-13

Ruth 2:8-13 

  When I was a teenager, I drove a rather noticeable suburban that was always easy to find in parking lots.  I remember my mother telling me to be careful where I parked it, because others would easily know where I was since the car was distinctive.  It was always accompanied by a laugh, but there was some truth in that.
  Others often hear about our actions, even when we intend to keep them secret.  When we are unkind or disrespectful, people find out.  I was listening to a pastor the other day talk about another pastor who was well-regarded as a preacher, but word got out that he was impatient and rude towards his wife, and as that was found out, his ministry eroded.
  In this passage, news about Ruth's dedication to Naomi has gotten around.  Ruth asks why Boaz is treating her so well, and he responds that it is because he has heard of her kindness and devotion towards Naomi, and so he is passing along kindness to her.
  I like to think this is one of the most effective ways the Gospel spreads -- through news of the kindness of Christians traveling around the neighborhood, and others being intrigued about the sweetness of the Gospel that transforms hearts and minds.  May we serve others with selflessness and devotion and, in so doing, spread the Good News of the Gospel.

No comments: