Tuesday, April 13, 2021

1 Thessalonians 2:1-8

1 Thessalonians 2:1-8 
English Standard Version 

  I don't think I fully grasped passages like this until I had children of my own.  Jesus talks about how God longs to gather God's people like a mother hen gathers her chicks.  Psalm 131 portrays a soul like a weaned child with its mother.  Watching my children comfort themselves in the arms of my wife, nestling into her to discover a place of safety and love, I realize why Scripture uses this image -- an infant recognizes its mother and finds comfort and security there that is nowhere else in the world.  The same is true of God -- the security we find in God is complete in a way that nothing else in the world can offer.  Our souls can rest in God in a way they cannot rest anywhere else.  God offers unconditional love, and in this love there is joy and there is peace and there is rest.  
  May we rest in God, knowing that there is nothing else that is needed, nothing else to desire, beyond God and God alone.

No comments: