Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Mark 7:24-30

Mark 7:24-30 

  At some point this summer, we all went over to Dayton and spent some time at the children's museum there.  They had a planetarium and we watched a show all about the universe.  There was a certain point where I was completely lost at the size and scope of it all.  It was overwhelming to think about and exceeded what my mind could grasp.  I simply didn't understand.
  We all have intellectual limits.  There are many people whose limits go far beyond me, but even the brightest minds come up against things that they can't wrap their heads around.  And that's ok -- we are created by God and live within the universe, so our minds have limits just as our bodies do.  Part of maturing is learning to accept our limitations, which are constantly changing.  
  I don't understand this passage.  I read it over and over, and I understand that Jesus is talking about the Jewish community and how God's grace and favor extends beyond it, but as to why a fence seems to be put up and the woman has to convince Jesus that others, like dogs, should have the crumbs, I don't have a good explanation.  I've learned to be ok with this -- I don't understand why God does everything that God does.  I trust the love and grace of God, because I see the fullness of that on the cross, and I hear Jesus inviting a thief under the penalty of death into God's infinite kingdom and I realize that God is more gracious than I can imagine, and so I accept that Jesus' motives here are loving, just as Jesus' motives are loving when he deals with you and I.  Some of the details are above my intellectual plane, and I can be ok with that.  Some things I'll learn on the other side of the veil.

No comments: