Tuesday, October 20, 2009

God's Love is Like...

God's Love is like...



A Good Book

How is God's love like a good book? I know what you might be thinking--books end! Books have to have endings to make sense--if they didn't end, we'd never read them, because we would never have any great endings! How can this be?!?

As I have said before, these analogies aren't perfect. Since God's love is perfect, and we are not, all of them will fall short. This is just for fun.

When I sit down and read a good book, I get so wrapped up in the book that I can barely do anything else. I do not want to do anything else but read that book. It is the single most important thing that I have to do. Maybe this is just my personality, but I become focused on truly good books. I sat down to read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and did nothing else for four straight days because I was engrossed. Dan Brown? They're not the greatest books in the world, but he can write an entertaining yarn, and I get sucked in. These are just a few examples.

God's love is like that. When we start exploring how deep and how wide and how amazing it truly is, we cannot focus on anything else. Unfortunately we get turned around and lose focus, but when we are centered on that amazing love, why would we want to do anything else? How could we turn away from love that is so selfless it is willing to die for us? How can anything in this world tempt us away from such love?

It takes work for an author to write something amazing that will suck in the reader and keep the pages turning. It takes dedication and a love of writing. I have heard God described as an author who created the story of the world, fell in love with the characters, and wrote himself into the story. There are a lot of holes in that comparison, but it also serves to remind us of how great the love of our God is.

No comments: