Monday, April 5, 2010

John Calvin: PIlgrim and Pastor

One of my goals for last year was to read more church history.  Well, I may be one year late, but I'm sure I can find something to blame it on...

Having finished Christianity's Dangerous Idea recently, I found this great little book on John Calvin called John Calvin:  Pilgrim and Pastor.  It's under 200 pages, which automatically prepares me to like it, and the author, W. Robert Godfrey, makes it very readable.

It's divided up into sections, some focusing on biographical information, most focused on his dealings and beliefs about Worship, the Sacraments, Predestination, etc.  Godfrey covers Calvin's life very well without feeling like giant pieces were left out for the sake of brevity. He puts Calvin in his context, ensuring that the reader understands the happenings of the times and the conflict that was alive and well in the church--one never feels lost in the book.  It is well-written, accessible, and generally enjoyable to read.  Perhaps I should have started my church history reading earlier...

No comments: