Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union

  I will freely confess that I did not watch the State of the Union last night.  I wasn't tempted to watch it, and have not been for many years.  I'd like to be interested--but will freely admit that I grow more frustrated than anything, and have decided that it is best for my blood pressure to simply avoid most political events.

  It makes me think about the power of our words.  One of the most frustrating aspects of political speech is that, so often, their words reflect a highly distorted view of reality.  I have grown cynical of most things that are said or promised by politicians, and have seen numerous individuals from both parties promise change, only to recognize that business as usual continues in Washington, D.C. and state capitals around the country.

  I think about how the church is shaped by our words.  Our lives are formed around the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ.  We know that God's words translate directly into action--we can read in Genesis about the creative power of God's holy words, or how they can heal and transform lives.

  When we read the Bible, do the words in it shape us?  Do we read it with hearts and minds ready to be transformed by the stories, by the witness to Christ?

  When we pray, do we expect the habit, the time spent in prayer, to change us?

  When we discuss matters of faith, do we recognize the importance of making sure that our actions match our words?  Do we see the harm that is done to the name of the church when we fail to live with integrity between our words and our actions?  Do we heed the call of Christ to follow, with words and bodies?

  I wonder how many people have tuned out the church because we, like so many politicians, fail to match our actions with our words.  I wonder how people might be surprised to see us lead with our actions, and follow with our words.

No comments: