Friday, February 8, 2013

Luke 7:18-35


Dear Theophilus,
Can you imagine what it would have been like to stand in the crowd, to see a woman whose own life has been destroyed by the death of her only son be restored to life just as the young man was?  Surely there are few events in human history that would draw forth tears from each and every bystander like this one would!  I’m sure word spread like wildfire across the region, as each person that was there, and many who were not, would tell and retell the details of the event to every person they met.  By the time the story reached Jerusalem, I imagine it had been exaggerated ten times over, but even the simple details are incredible.
Events like that make me want to believe that all of this is true.  Part of me wonders if this is an event that is blown out of proportion by overeager story-tellers, but this feels right.  It fits with the rest of the story, and I want to believe its authenticity.  It makes me want to believe in Jesus, too—I could follow a man who takes a special interest in restoring widows.  By his simple act, two lives are restored.  Jesus knows that this is more than a simple healing.
Yet, I can’t help but wonder why more of these don’t still take place.  For those widows out there today, why don’t these type of healings occur more often.  If God has the power, why doesn’t he use it more often?  Would it be so difficult for him to reach down and stir up some miracles in the lives of his often desperate believers?  Why are miracles like this limited to particular times?  Wouldn’t it also make faith possible and easy for many others like me?  If I had witnessed this firsthand, I’d be following Jesus without a doubt.  But hearing about it afterward and wondering if it is too good to be true, I can’t help but have my doubts.
I know that I stand in a long line when it comes to people having their doubts about Jesus.  Even John, the one who baptized Jesus, had his doubts.  You wouldn’t think that John would have these, particularly after the events surrounding Jesus’ baptism.  The man’s entire life and ministry was based around the fact that he was preparing people for the arrival of Jesus, and yet even this man, when he heard the details of was happening, sent his disciples to Jesus to ask him whether he was the Messiah, or if there were still to wait for someone else.
Jesus must have been amused at their question, but in his own wonderful way he sensed their humble honesty in the depths of their hearts.  He knew they didn’t come and ask out of a desire to debate him, and that they hadn’t arrived in the hopes of mocking him.  They earnestly sought the truth as to his identity, Jesus’ reply is an answer that amazes and confounds me.  I will admit to wanting a straightforward yes or no, and that his reply is the type that engages the listener at a far deeper level, asking the questioner to come forward and promising to meet him halfway.  Jesus has been busy curing people, casting out demons and restoring sight to the blind, and he must have taken a moment to survey evidence of the miracles that surrounded him before replying, “Tell John what you have seen and the witness that you have heard, that the blind can see, the lame walk, the deaf hear, the lepers are sick no more, the dead are restored to life and the poor hear good news upon their ears.  All who are not offended by me are blessed.”
Jesus certainly gave John’s disciples something to think about on the way home.  It was a yes, I suppose, but a veiled one.  He turns John back to the world and asks him if the evidence confirms his identity, and if it does, then John will know the answer.  It’s similar to what you do, Theophilus, to all my questions.  You reply by pointing to the stories, to the world, and leave me to answer the question on my own.  I know in my heart that’s what I must do, but I desire a strong yes or no beforehand, even though it is apparent that such an answer is not coming.
Jesus turned from these disciples to the crowd, addressing them harshly, calling them to a deeper discipleship, to move beyond wonder and fascination into a place of faith.  I don’t get the sense that Jesus has an issue with those who are seeking the truth, but he takes the crowd to task for acting like a crowd, for looking on and not following. 
He first asks them what they expected when they went to hear John in the wilderness.  He wonders if they supposed he would be weak, like any weed shaken by a strong wind.  He asks them if they expected to find a man of wealth and power who would live in a palace and be dressed in the finest linens.  John had captured the attention of the people, but I think Jesus is addressing their surprise at his words, at his message—it had some sharp edges upon which many were wounded, and some backed away.  But Jesus reminds the people that the prophets of the Old Testament had looked forward to the messenger that God would send ahead of the Messiah, and John was to be that messenger. No one born of a woman would be greater, and yet even a man of his stature is lowly in the kingdom of God.
You can see, Theophilus, how hard much of this would be for a man or woman of traditional faith to take in.  If you have been accustomed to one certain brand of steady faith your entire life, it would be an enormous challenge for a listener, for a witness, of Jesus’ words and actions to make sense of it all.  Perhaps I should be more astounded that as many followed him as they did, because it would have been easy to discount the man as crazy, yet everything he did reinforced what he said.  Those who followed had tremendous courage.  Those who had chosen to be baptized by John, to heed his message of repentance, took heart at what Jesus had to say, believing that God’s justice was at work in the world.  The Pharisees, however, and other power brokers in that religious milieu, refused John’s baptism and, in so doing, turned their backs on God’s calling for their lives.  They didn’t want to fall before God and be restored.  Their pride prevented them from doing so.  Do I refuse out of pride?  Or is it just unknowing?  Confusion?  I stand between the groups, between the sinners who believe themselves to be saved and the sinners that Jesus rebukes for refusing to allow themselves to be saved, and as I survey the landscape I see that those who follow Jesus are in love with him and the life to which he calls them, but my heart tugs me back, asking more questions, uncertain of such tumultuous changes that a life of faith would bring.
Jesus continued before the crowd, comparing the people in the generation to children who sit in the marketplace, calling out that the others did not dance when the flute was played, that their wailing was not joined with weeping.  Jesus asks the crowd why it was said that John had a demon when he neither ate nor drank wine, and yet the Son of Man comes eating and drinking and is accused of being a glutton and a drunkard!  Jesus knows that he is looked down upon for befriending tax collectors and sinners, yet he tells the crowd that the children of wisdom will vindicate her.
Theophilus, this is hard for me to hear.  I know that Jesus was upset at the crowd, disappointed in those who would listen and watch but not follow.  It’s like those who stand around outside, hoping to catch a glimpse of the show but refusing to part with any money to go in.  We often guard our hearts too closely, holding back love and commitment until it is a sure thing, only to find that the object of our affections has then moved on.  I pray that I am not like this, that my life is not caught up in uncertainty and that I find myself an old man, regretful of decisions unmade and commitments that passed by.  Pray for me, friend, that I may find peace in my heart with this consuming question of Jesus.
Sincerely,
Luke

No comments: