Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Luke 9:43b-50


Dear Theophilus,
Your description of life as a journey from the mountaintop to the valley is certainly apt in my case.  As a child, I imagined that I would leap from mountaintop to mountaintop, my feet never brushing the valley floors in between.  As I grew, I realized the absurdity of that fantasy and have grown to accept the valley floor as a place of learning.  Had Jesus spent his ministry dwelling on the mountaintop with Moses and Elijah, so many of these wondrous stories would have never have occurred, and many would never have come in contact with him.  While we would certainly have a glorious image of Jesus, I don’t know if it is an image that many would feel comfortable approaching.  I know I struggle to see myself as worthy to approach a man who forgives prostitutes, as we discussed earlier, let alone one who spends time in conversation with Moses and Elijah. 
Yet, in all of the time he spends healing, he is always teaching, bringing the listener back to the primary reason for his ministry.  He doesn’t heal or do miracles for amusement, but rather with a purpose, to direct the attention of the crowd back to God.  I am so amazed by Jesus as a teacher, as a man with a singular purpose.  I can certainly see why so many who don’t worship him still find the space to admire him—he never deviates from his task.
After hearing of the strange and wondrous healing that you described in your letter, I sought out more information to follow up on the curious saying of Jesus that you related.  I couldn’t imagine that Jesus would simply leave the crowd with such words, and sure enough, I discovered that he carried on teaching while the crowd was still amazed at the sight of this boy, healed from this awful demon.  There isn’t much more, and the crowd did not grasp its meaning, for it was hidden from them, though I do not know why, and out of fear they didn’t ask him about it.  Jesus told them simply, “The Son of Man will be betrayed into the hands of others.”  You or I can say now that we would immediately ask Jesus the meaning of this, demanding to know who would be doing the betraying and work to prevent it.  But that is all the gift of hindsight—in reality, we’d probably stare at each other and try to decipher it on our own, not wanting to disturb Jesus, expecting him to make this more clear on his own time.  I wish he would have continued on teaching about this, but instead an argument broke out. 
You’d think that, by now, with all we’ve covered, the disciples would have a fairly good grasp on what it means to follow Jesus.  I know that I’ve certainly learned quite a bit, and what I’ve learned challenges most of the assumptions about what it means to get ahead in life.  However, in this case the disciples clearly have not picked up the lessons that Jesus has taught.  While Jesus is busy healing a boy, the disciples are bickering about which one is the greatest.  I think I’ve heard small children having a similar argument, but it paints the disciples in a pretty poor light to imagine them having this argument! 
Jesus, however, knew just the thing to defuse the situation and put all of the disciples in their proper place.  Listening to them having this absurd argument, he picked up a little child and made sure each disciple was listening as he told them the confusing truth that the greatest among the disciples is the one who is the least, and that the one who welcomes a child in Jesus’ name is the one who welcomes Jesus.  It doesn’t make much sense at first, but I think Jesus is trying to help them see that it’s not about getting ahead and achieving what so many people call success.  Following Jesus means welcoming children and giving away love without expectation of receiving anything in return.  Anyone who has ever been around a child knows how demanding they can be and much of a one-way relationship it can often be, but it’s for the child’s good that we sacrifice.  In the same way, giving away love freely may not feel rewarding, and it may not get us noticed, but it’s the most important thing we can do.
This seemed to quell the argument the disciples were having, and John couldn’t help but put forward a question that had been brewing in his mind.  I wonder how much of the timing of this question was motivated by him trying to shift the focus of the conversation away from the disciples’ petty fighting.  John told Jesus that a man was seen casting demons out in the name of Jesus, and they had tried to stop him since he didn’t follow Jesus along with the rest of the disciples.  Jesus, however, told the disciples not to stop him, since he wasn’t against the disciples.  I interpret this, Theophilus, to mean that Jesus may use many individuals, even surprising to disciples, to spread the news of the Kingdom. 
It’s a curious sequence of events, and it illustrates, to me at least, that Jesus isn’t easy to pin down.  Many people I know want to define him by a small set, but Jesus resists such easy defining.  To this day, Jesus gives us plenty to consider and ponder, making us stretch for an understanding of how best to follow him.  As an outsider looking in, I appreciate the fact that Jesus is multi-faceted yet singularly focused—my entire mind has to be engaged to follow him, and I can’t ever start believing that I have it nailed down.  Even the disciples squabbled over what it means to follow him!
Let me know if I’ve been led astray in my understanding of discipleship.  I consider you the expert in the field, and hope that you will shed some light on this enigma of a man.
Sincerely,
Luke

No comments: