Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Luke 8:1-15


Dear Theophilus,
It fascinates me that you mention the church’s lack of integrity between the God of love they proclaim and their own actions, actions that often lack any semblance of love within them.  It is hypocrisy such as this that has driven me far from the church, and hearing this account of Jesus does not surprise me at all.  What would surprise me is witnessing such an act of gentle love being practiced by the church today.  Now, part of me realizes that this is not a fair characterization—I know that there are many Christians quietly living lives that preach exactly this kind of selfless love.  I know that they will never receive the television coverage that a few loud voices get, but it is so frustrating to know that the church is often so focused on itself and so worried about purity that it doesn’t bother to emulate this generous and amazing love that Jesus displays.  If the church took a month and decided to stop bickering and lived this message out, I believe the size of the church would probably double in that month.  But I suppose the chances of this happening are slim, because as soon as the church doubled many would go right back to arguing which of those that joined are truly worthy of God’s love.  Here, and in so many other places, Jesus illustrates that the ones we probably suspect least of being worthy of God’s love are the most willing to receive it, while many of these Pharisees are so busy trying to earn it that they miss it completely.  I wish I had been taught this lesson from my youth—I suspect my life would look very different than it does today.
As you can tell, Theophilus, there is a part of me that seems to yearn for a relationship with Jesus.  This exploration of his life has opened my eyes to his incredible love.  Many of the negative opinions I have of his followers and the church are torn away when I am confronted with the pictures of him loving those whom he met.  I want to be loved like that, freely and without condition, without fear of rejection.  Perhaps someday I will experience firsthand the kind of love that sinful woman found at the feet of Jesus and it will transform me forever. 
Speaking of women, it’s interesting that Jesus traveled with women.  Mary Magdalene, who had seven demons cast out from her, Joanna, the wife of Chuza, who was Herod’s steward, Susanna and many other women traveled with Jesus.  In today’s society there are still individuals arguing about whether women should be equal in religious communities, and yet here we have Jesus traveling with woman, many of whom were providing for the group from their own funds!  Jesus was all about inclusion! 
He continued to travel throughout cities and villages, talking about the kingdom of God wherever he went.  You, Theophilus, would probably be better at grasping exactly what that means, but it had a tremendous effect, for crowds gathered to hear him speak and to see him heal.  I wonder how many came out of curiosity and how many came out of desperate need, and how many still were in the original category and realized they were actually in the latter when they heard him speak.
One particular speech included a story about a sower who threw seed seemingly without care.  If I hired a sower with this same kind of accuracy, he wouldn’t last long!  He threw some seed on a path that was trod upon and eaten by the birds.  Some was on rock, where the roots were unable to be nurtured and it withered as it grew.  Some was in thorns and was never able to escape, being choked by the competition.  Some seed, though, did find its way to good soil, where it produced many times over. 
Oddly, Jesus told this story to the crowd without explanation, and I’m sure many went away scratching their heads, trying to find the root of the story.  Even the disciples were confused and asked him what it meant.  I have a faithful account that Jesus told them that they were given to know the secrets of God’s kingdom, but that many others merely heard the parables and would not understand them, even though they listened.  I will admit that I don’t understand why Jesus would speak in such a way that many would not understand him, but perhaps it is a test of faith, to see who is truly worthy?  Or maybe it is to give people something to think about, discuss, and trust that they would know the answers?  
Thankfully, the same record I have includes Jesus’ explanation of the parable.  The seed, Theophilus, is the word of God, and the seed that lands on the path represents the people who hear the word but have it stolen from their hearts by the devil.  The birds that pluck the seed from the path must be a symbol of how they are not saved because their belief does not endure.  The seed that falls among the rocks represents those whose initial joy upon hearing the word fades after a difficult time.  The thorns that choke some of the seed are symbolic of the riches of the world, and any newspaper in the world can attest that these temptations can choke away even the strongest faith.  The seed in the good soil, however, represents those that not only hear the word but also live a life of earnest and faithful witness, bearing fruit for the world to see, enduring all challenges and temptations to bring glory to God.
Jesus speaks in these parables, which are often more like riddles, and I wonder if they made perfect sense to the listeners back then.  I can’t help but think that many would have been confused, just as I often am.  It’s strange for me to say, but I trust Jesus’ method—if he is as loving as your previous story detailed, I’m sure that he would make a path for any who earnestly wished to be saved by him.  He doesn’t seem like the kind of man who spends more time building obstacles than making roads for people to come to faith, as opposed to many Christians I know who invest their time and energy in dividing others into groups and judging them.  They still have much to learn about Jesus.
Listen to me talk!  I find myself reaching all sorts of conclusions, and yet many might scoff at me.  I am not an expert on Jesus, but I am impressed by the man.  You may say that if I am so impressed I should offer him my life, but at this point I merely admire him.  I have not yet come to a place of worship.  You seem to believe that is inevitable, but I know that many have been confronted with the same evidence I have and reached a different conclusion than you have, so I will not say that it is inevitable.  I will say that I am uncertain, and I will continue to press forward, trusting that answers will become clear. 
Thank you, friend, for your investment of time and energy.
Sincerely,
Luke

No comments: