Monday, March 23, 2015

Psalm 131

Psalm 131
English Standard Version (ESV)

  131 O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
  2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me. 3 O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore.

*************

 I love this Psalm.  It's short, sweet and easy to memorize, and in moments of distress it paints a beautiful image of a child resting on its mothers lap, the safest place in the world for any young child.  Young children trust their mothers completely, and anything in the world that seems to threaten their sense of security sends them fleeing to mom, where they are welcomed with love.
  May the same be true of us.  May we recognize that God's loving embrace is the place where our souls find their true rest, and though we cannot experience that on this side of heaven, we can spend our lives preparing for it, letting the love of God enfold us and remind us that nothing can tear us from God's embrace.

  In times of joy and times of struggle, may we seek the peace that only God can offer.


No comments: